My positive coping skill

My positive coping skill
Boxing at Lewis's Boxing Gym, Springfield, MO.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Are you ready to lose weight?

I lied
Ok, so I didn't lie about drinking water as my first step but after some thinking I realized that I did something prior to this. I was mentally ready to lose weight. If you are not ready to lose weight then no book, diet, exercise program or pill is going to help you. How do you become ready?

You have to be uncomfortable
If you are comfortable with your body then why would you put extra time and effort into changing it? I think that we should love ourselves but if I had been comfortable with my body then I would not have made healthy lifestyle changes. I remember going back to school after I had my first child and I was actually embarrassed to look in the mirror when I used the restroom, especially if a cute thin girl was in there with me. I could not stand feeling this way and wanted a change.

Visualize yourself (thin, strong, healthy)
You have to see yourself in your minds eye how you want to look and feel. Picture yourself exactly the way you would like to look and how you will feel when this happens. Try it now. How does it feel? I feel, strong, healthy and sexy. I have more energy and enjoy my life more. Now practice this on a daily basis.

Use positive self talk
I am the queen of beating myself up however, I knew that this would only stop me from being my best. So, I decided to say something positive to myself every morning in the mirror. I bet there is at least one thing that is absolutely amazing about you! The very first thing I said to myself was that I was incredible because I was able to make the most adorable little boy. What a feat! We would love to hear the good things you tell yourself so we can steal them for ourselves.

You will HAVE to change your life!
Many people want to lose weight but they want to keep their lifestyle. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Realize that you are going to have to make PERMANENT lifestyle changes. Please note that these should be done in baby steps so that you can maintain them and it is not traumatizing. 

You must make time in your life
Our lives are crazy busy! One of the main reasons people say they can't lose weight is because they don't have time. We are working 40+ hours per week, taking our kids to activities, volunteering etc. The list could go on and on an on... Well, we have to have a margin of time in our lives and this means we have to make some changes. For example I am currently working overnights and getting very little sleep and I have almost no time with my family. I can not start an exercise program right now. It will only cause more stress in my life. I have taken steps to change this because I have to feel good about myself. Next week will be my last week of overnights because I have found a new job! I am giving myself two weeks to settle in and then I will begin working out regularly. What are some things that you must change in order for you to make time for yourself?

Now your ready
Once you have your ducks in a row you will be ready to change your body by changing your life. Please share what things are holding you back and what you can do to change them.




No comments:

Post a Comment